Sunday, January 26, 2014

If Not for The Case of the Missing Book, My Week Was Banal

On the surface, it's been an uneventful week.  Holly is getting better at being housebroken by which I mean we are gradually having fewer accidents per week.  I have been plugging away at my boot camp and, as of today’s weekly weigh-in, have lost 10 lbs (4.5 kgs).  I’m proofreading a MS for an author.  Rob had three gigs this week.  My mother is home from her winter trip to warmer climes.  My daughter went away for the weekend to attend Kimute in Tennessee and will be back today.  My boys are both doing well.  Basically, all is right with my world.

Except for one thing. I can’t find my book Mindfulness Path to Self-Compassion.  Seriously.  I was more than halfway through it because it is my book for this month and I could easily see I would finish it by the end of the month, just as I had planned.  Then it just disappeared. Rob can’t find it.  I can’t find it.  It’s just . . . gone.  I haven’t left the house with it.  Nobody has come over to perhaps steal it.  Not that someone would steal it but I’m grasping at straws here. 

Seriously, it’s like a sock disappearing in a dryer.  There is no logical reason why this book is gone but it is and I am clueless about how to find it.  Argh!


So what to do?  I guess I could start my February book early.  That way, when the other book turns up, as I know it will eventually, I can just pick up where I left off and not fall too far behind my annual goal.  I just feel silly for not being able to find it.  How hard can it be to find a book?  Apparently, nearly impossible and, until it is found, that won’t change.  

In the meantime, here's Holly huffing something she discovered although I have no clue what it is.  Perhaps it's my book, mocking her from behind the oven or somewhere just under the house.  I wouldn't put it past that book to do something like that.  I obviously have no clue where it is.






8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for visiting and for leaving such a wonderful comment! You made my day. Your dog is a sweetheart! i LOVE dogs...my Ellie is my best little friend... ~kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I always look at your beautiful blog but I rarely have something to say because I feel like Thank You becomes boring after a while. Maybe I'll just leave a comment every now and again sharing some random fact about me or my dogs or something. That way you'll know I was there. But that would probably confuse your other blog readers.

      Delete
  2. I need a book-sniffing dog. I've had a library book go missing. It's been over a month since it disappeared and it won't be long before I can't renew it anymore and I'm going to have to confess that I've lost it. There are only a few places it could be -- and it's in none of those places! Driving me nuts.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, as luck would have it, I actually found the book while making the bed. Now I only have 4 days in which to finish it though. I don't think I'm going to make it but I'm not going to give up without a fight!

      Delete
  3. Glad the house-breaking is going better - it'll be no time before she has no accidents at all. And congrats on the ten pounds lost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, It's just a matter of our figuring one another out. She needs to figure out how to tell us she needs to go outside and we need to pay attention when she's asking to be let outside. It's amazing how much animals teach us things. I've noticed a few things she likes to have us do and they are unique to her so she clearly has shown us what she wants/needs us to do for her.

      Delete
  4. I hate when that happens! You know is has to be right there! You didn't take it anywhere and it can't walk. Although Holly may have been jealous and hid it. My dog chewed one if my books one time. She was punishing me. I went out to work in my front yard and since that part isn't fenced in I couldn't take Sophie with me. She was upset.when I came back in she had chewed up my book. It was still there though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I've had books chewed up as well and I am so anal about not doing any damage to my books that it was unbearable. I bought a replacement copy! I swear. If I get a new book, even after I've read it, it will look pristine because I'm so careful.

      Delete