Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Weekly Body Check-In: #amlosing

Can you believe I’ve lost 10 lbs since the beginning of the year?  Me neither.  I can’t really say why?  I did change a few things in January.

Exercise

As you know, I’ve been doing a boot camp with Jonathan Roche and I’m thrilled with it.  There are five coaches (although I’ve only used four because I can’t hear the fifth) and the workouts are only around 30 minutes long. This is a far cry from the 2-3 hours of exercise I was doing before.  Can you imagine working out 2-3 hours and seeing no results?  That was me.  Week after week.  Now I’m only doing 30 minutes and I’m losing weight.  Finally.  In a couple of weeks, I’ll be taking my second set of measurements.  I’m not sure what to expect but I’m not setting myself up by having any expectations.  You see, I was looking at how much I have lost.  My goal had been to lose one pound a week so, obviously, I’ve exceeded that goal.  As I sat there, I thought to myself, “I wonder how much I would lose if I kept up losing at this rate?”  Almost at the same moment I backed away. I refuse to do that to myself.  It is enough for me to just show up, to do something each day and to do it with focus (and sometimes even enthusiasm).

Diet

I’ve increased my protein and am limiting high GI foods.  I don’t feel the least bit deprived.  I even had a sliver of Bibi’s birthday cake!  For instance, tonight we’re having pork curry served over a bed of cauliflower “couscous” (really cauliflower run through a food processor and then sautéed).  Tomorrow we’re having a three cheese broccoli soup (Gruyère, Jarlsberg, sharp cheddar). Does that sound like I’m depriving myself to you?  It surely doesn’t sound like I am to me.  And I’m feeling better.  I have more energy for everything, not feeling like I need to take naps.  Why didn’t I do this sooner?  Oh yeah.  I was trying to eat more vegetables to reach my caloric goal and failing miserably.  I’m still not succeeding, frankly.  But I feel so much better that I don’t know that I care.  Pass me some cheese and mixed nuts! 

Supplement

I received a free bottle of Garcinia Cambogia Extract and have done so for three weeks (slightly longer than I’ve been doing the boot camp) and it’s quite possible that this too is having an effect.  It supposedly blocks fat and suppresses the appetite.  I actually have no desire to minimize my appetite.  Why would I when I am trying to eat enough calories?  But if that is your goal, if you feel you need an appetite suppressant, then this could be something you try.  Apparently, Dr. Oz has recommended this supplement.  (This doesn’t actually influence me because I only noticed that today in trying to provide a link for the blog post.)

So Many Changes = Success


Who cares what it is, right?  I mean, I’m losing weight.  I’m doing my best.  I’m not giving up.  And today I am celebrating myself.  Celebrating myself and the snow outside.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! That's some great result! Wish you further progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ekaterina. After working so hard for so many years to hopefully see some weight loss, it's nice to finally see something positive happening from all my effort.

      Delete
  2. Wow! 10 pounds. You are certainly doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating more protein and exercising less. Actually, doing less cardio, really because I am doing more strength training than I had been, all thanks to the boot camp. And wow indeed! Thanks!

      Delete