Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekly Update With Husky Advice

See how happy they are?
Any day now, Holly will be housebroken.  In the meantime, I’m happy to report that her separation anxiety has begun to settle down.  We still haven’t tried to both go out because we don’t want to do too much at once, but progress is being made.  This week, I plan on wearing a shirt I was going to give to Good Will for a couple of days and we’ll put it in the crate with the dogs.  Having our scent in the crate will hopefully help make things a bit easier.

We had to buy her a new collar and have set her old collar aside to donate to the local animal rescue organization.  It’s a pretty collar and I suspect that the property manager who found Holly and took her to the vet bought it for her.  But these nylon web collars are not good for Siberian Huskies.  They rub against the fur and eventually to the skin.  We had this problem with Romanov’s first collar and again with Snowdoll’s harness.  Never again!  Poor Holly.  By the time I realized that the collar was doing the same thing to her, she already had a bald patch.  Thankfully, she was not yet rubbed raw.
Holly discovered the aquarium!

If you have a Siberian Husky, I highly recommend using a rolled leather collar like this one.  It is not damaging to the dog’s fur or skin.  The rest are absolutely useless.

It is amazing how much a new family member, even a four-footed one, can disrupt the home.  There is absolutely not routine around here whatsoever.  I know that this will come with time (after all, we went through this with Snowdoll) but I’m impatient at times and want everything to fall into place now.  Like my planner which I still haven’t put together.  Amazingly, I’m not beating myself up over it.  I just chalk it up to another day of loving my dogs and hope that the next day I will do a little more. 

Our yard is pretty muddy.
It’s all about baby steps.  It isn’t that I didn’t do anything.  I found a binder, found some dividers, and I created my own weekly pages (unable to find premade ones I liked).  I have sections for these, for tracking my diet and exercise (lost 3.6 lbs last week) and for my morning pages.  I have two unused sections at this time but I suspect that I will find a purpose for them soon.  (Do you get the feeling I already have something on my mind about which I am not ready to write? If not, you should.) 


So maybe I’m not accomplishing much but I think it’s a fair compromise.  Holly is already making me feel like this is a sacrifice well worth making.

8 comments:

  1. Aww, they are so cute :)
    Well, at least all the hustle is good for losing weight :) Having everything unsettled have this effect on me too.
    Now I have the feeling of curiosity and I'm looking forward to discover what it is you are not writing about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still processing the idea of what I may do with one section but, once I know what it is, I'll be posting about it, I'm sure. :)

      Delete
  2. Holly is a beautiful dog! I'm glad you figured out the problem with the collar before it started really hurting her. Great weight loss this week. Now, I need to know what's on your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. We're glad we noticed the issue early as well. I kick myself because we knew this was an issue for two huskies so why wouldn't it be for a third? We were already talking about getting her a rolled leather collar so it wasn't a big stretch. And as soon as I figure out how committed I am to what's on my mind, I'm sure I'll be sharing the details.

      Delete
  3. Yes having your scent in there will help a great deal for sure. Gosh she's so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did this with Romanov when he was still with his litter. We didn't need to do it with Snowdoll because she didn't have the same level of anxiety that Holly clearly has. And she is a pretty thing. I don't know how Rob and I got so lucky to get not one but two Siberian Huskies for free but clearly it was meant to be.

      Delete
  4. Love the photo of Holly staring at the fish! I really get a kick out of new planners. I hope yours helps you achieve everything you wish for!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, Holly is a hoot. She's fascinated by her reflection, shadow, and just everything. She's definitely younger than we were told. As for my planner, I'm still trying to get into the habit of it but I knew that part of it all would take time.

      Delete