Monday, February 17, 2014

Meditation Monday: Obsession

It started off simple enough, didn’t it?  I wanted to recommit to my daily meditation practice.  Then I had a cold but it was okay.  I couldn’t find the magazine with the wonderful Commit to Sit article in it.  I figured, since I didn’t want to try to start doing a mindfulness meditation practice where I focus on my breathing when I couldn’t really breathe, I could keep looking for the magazine.

You know how sometimes something starts off innocently enough but soon becomes a sort of obsession?  You don’t mean to get consumed but somehow you simply can’t stop until you have finished what you started?  That is what happened to me.  That elusive magazine became an obsession for me.  I sorted through stacks of papers and magazines in my office, trying to find it.  I tossed out extraneous things, outdated things, random things in my ongoing search for The Magazine.

I found it this morning.

Whew!

Of course, all of this activity has forced me to see just how cluttered my office had become and so now I am organizing things into piles of like items.  It’s easy for me to get caught up in the details of things, to start flipping through a magazine to determine if it’s a keeper or not, reading random pieces of paper and filing them or creating a file for them, etc.  Nope.  Not gonna let myself do that.  Instead, I’m taking all of the magazines and dropping them into one stack, papers in another, books in yet another.  I have boxes to keep things under control and I’m throwing things into the recycling bin as well.  It’s all coming together. 

And now I’m more interested in keeping up with this momentum I’ve started in getting things under control in my office.  This is a good thing.  Truth is, Holly isn’t going to let me meditate yet.  She’s getting there but not there yet.  I think if I just let myself prepare for what I want to do for now.  In a week or two, or a month or two, things will not be as they are now.  When we are all in a more consistent place, I’ll reconsider things.  In the meantime, I’m going to continue exploring meditation resources both in my personal life and here on this blog.  As I said two weeks ago, there’s a lot of stuff out there and there are numerous and wonderful ways to explore meditation.   


Have a fantabulous Monday everyone.  In between my frenetic cleaning, I’ll be curled up with a cup of tea and my final found magazine.  

2 comments:

  1. I hear you! Every so often we have to clean out the clutter. Glad you found the elusive magazine. Thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Gigi. thank you for reciprocating. The decluttering will be a work in progress for a while but every day will bring me a little closer to where I want to be.

      Delete