Thursday, February 27, 2014

Things to See or Not #2

The Hobbit

Rob and I have been saying we would watch this together but I finally gave up on watching it with him. I think he would have enjoyed this more than I did.  However, I think he, too, would have found some of the changes weird. Like the scene with the trolls where one blows its nose on Bilbo.  While I understand that the screenwriters made changes for visual narrative purposes in Lord of the Rings (or, for that matter, in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe which added a wolf chase that was not in the novel), I do not understand why changes were made that compromise the tone and integrity of the original source.  The scene with Gollum was brilliant but not worth the price of admission.  And what the hell was up with Galadriel disappearing?  Ugh.  So disappointed I don't know if I want to see the second one at all.  I do love my soundtrack for the film.  I just hope I can forget all of the stupidity of the movie (which is beautifully acted so kudos to the actors anyway) when I listen to the gorgeous music.

Thelma and Louise

I give up.  I keep watching this movie because I feel like I ought to enjoy it.  I love Susan Sarandon.  I love Geena Davis.  Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, and even Brad Pitt.  So why do I dislike this movie so much?  No.  I don't even dislike it.  I'm completely apathetic to it.  I find it uninteresting.  Something about this movie eludes me.  I'd rather watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and now I wonder why I didn't.  It's more fun and I recommend it if you haven't seen it.  And if you love Thelma and Louise, you're not alone.  I feel like I'm the one who is alone because I don't.  I just hope I don't waste my time trying to give this movie another chance.  At this point I think it's safe to say, I'll never grow into an appreciation for this movie.  Not ever.

Bates Motel

I did another marathon of a television show.  I knew two episodes into this one that I probably wouldn't like it because I could guess almost every step of the way what would happen next, right up to the surprise moment that ends the season, that manipulative moment meant to drive viewers to the edge of their seats until next season.  I knew I was in trouble when I realized that they had moved the story of Norman Bates from the past to the present, contemporizing the story to, I suppose, appeal to today's audience.  But those old enough to appreciate Hitchcock's movie Psycho won't appreciate the cell phones and such.  Younger viewers may like it.  I don't know.  I suppose I could see if there is a second season scheduled.  Not that I will watch it.  Ignorance is bliss.  Maybe I don't want to know that this silly show survived when a show like Firefly was forced into too early retirement.

In my queue for this week:

No comments:

Post a Comment