Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In Complete With TMI



If you want to skip the TMI portion of this post, simply glance at the pictures and move along (or leave a comment to let me know you at least hung around that long).  Otherwise, read at our own risk.  I won't go into details but there are things that impacted my experience this week. Bah humbug.

About halfway through the week, my knee started hurting.  Badly enough for me to lose sleep over the stabbing pain as I would try to move or stretch.  It wasn't good and it was getting worse.  I started popping Aleve in a desperate attempt to not lose momentum while also following the advice given in boot camp:

Adapt
Adjust
Accept

I adapted by taking something for the pain and resting my knee as much as possible when I wasn't doing things.  I adjusted the boot camp workouts, avoiding squats and lunges and keeping everything low impact.  And I accepted that my knee bothering me is just my body's way of reminding me I need to be kind and gentle even when I'm trying to work up a sweat.

Truth is, I even celebrated the fact that I had made it seven weeks without hurting my knee.  That's pretty impressive and shows just how great this boot camp is at offering modifications.

In spite of my knee pain, I didn't miss a day.  I exercised six out of seven days, doing what I needed to do to not hurt myself.  I was oh-so-careful and my knee started feeling better.

Then came Saturday and I got my period.

Now, for those of you who don't know, I'm 51 years old and I'm going through perimenopause.  I had gone six months without getting my period and I was beginning to legitimately hope that maybe I would be free from having my period for good.  I was genuinely looking forward to it, even.  So you can imagine my disappointment when I realized I wouldn't be quite that lucky.

But I learned something really important as well.

I had forgotten how having my monthly cycle affects me physically.  I had cramps.  Okay.  No big deal.  But the exhaustion, the way it affects my vertigo, making it harder for me to do anything--these things I had completely forgotten.  I don't know how I was dealing with this every month.  I literally lay down the other day and was asleep before I realized it.  And I don't mean one of those twilight sleeps where I was vaguely aware of my surroundings.  No. I was gone, completely unconscious, oblivious to everything except how the bed was moving beneath me and how nauseous I was feeling because of the vertigo.

logo for Readers' Workouts
Join me and others
as we share our fitness journey
at Joy's Book Blog.
So all in all, not a good week for yours truly.  I gained 1.2 lbs, which is probably due to my having my bloody period.  (pun intended)  And now I can only hope that next week's weigh-in shows signs of loss.  If not, I don't know what I will do.  The usual advice is to cut back on sweets or something like that (but I don't eat sweets so that is not a viable option) or push yourself harder while exercising (which I cannot do until my knee is better and then I probably ought not do if I don't want to hurt my knee again).

I really hope I see some weight loss at next week's weigh-in because, if I do not, I'll be in a damned if I do, damned if I don't position and, from experience, that's not a very comfortable position to be in at all!

I'd love to hear what you've been doing to take care of yourself this week.  


8 comments:

  1. I know you realize there are times when....no matter how hard we try there are weeks when we don't lose weight. Like the old saying goes " Snot happens" and we just keep on going. During the winter months I try to pay attention to what goes into my mouth. Example: Last evening watching TV like a zombie I reached for the Candy dish, did I take just one piece? No, I was ready to take a handful. I said, " Whoa! What are you doing?" I put it all back and to satisfy myself, I treated myself to one piece. Which by the way I forgot to add to my journal last night. ( Bad me) I hope you begin to feel better soon and have a successful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, That's one of the reasons I've been heading to bed early. I grab a book or three and just start reading until I fall asleep. It keeps me from the temptation snacking. For me, those mixed nuts my husband has on hand are a killer. But I've been doing so much better with resisting once I'm in bed. Last night I made myself a cup of pomegranate tea, a touch of something sweet. It was perfect.

      And not bad you. A slight oops and today is a whole new day, to paraphrase Anne Shirley (or should I say Lucy Maud Montgomery the author who created her?).

      Delete
  2. Hope this week is much better. As someone with a terrible monthly period - I feel your pain!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I truly needed them this week. Feeling much beter today.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! Hope you're knee heals quick and your period ends soon. It's been almost three years since my last period so I seem to be well and truly done now. The last couple of years, they were far apart, close together, very heavy, and extremely light. I never knew what was coming!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, That was my cycle before August, coming every two weeks, sometimes light, sometimes heavy, then waiting six weeks and coming once a month as it should . . . I knew I was being overly optimistic thinking six months was the start of something more permanent. Oh well. My calendar is duly marked.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your knee. I have problems with my left knee so I know how you feel. I hope it heals quickly.

    I went through menopause when I was in my early 40's, but I still remember how much I disliked it. From my first one to my last, they were very heavy for 3 days, then stopped. Luckily I didn't have cramps, headaches etc.

    I've had vertigo a few times and it is AWFUL!! Hopefully your's will go away and not come back like mine did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Unfortunately, my vertigo is not acute. It's chronic and, according to my doctors, it's incurable. I'm still optimistic that something will come along, that research will catch up with my needs before I die, but I have to live with it and have learned to accept the limitations it has placed on my life.

      Delete