Sunday, March 23, 2014

No Weekly Update: About Holly . . .

Holly is suffering.

It’s Romanov all over again.  I hear myself thinking “But she was fine this morning.”  And she was.  Just as Romanov had been playing with the new toys we’d just bought for them, even though Snowdoll is not a dog toy lover.  But new toys mattered to him and we could see they mattered to Holly.  Not that she was playing with toys yesterday—she was playing with us.  And I don’t mean later, when we were both up but right away, in the morning, she was grabbing my hand with her mouth, nibbling my nose.  She did the same thing to Rob, jumping up to wake him with face nibbles and kisses.  She was so happy, her tail twitching and flipping around.  Everything was normal, even better than normal.  Rob and I both commented on it, how very happy she was.

Then, around 2pm, he took her outside but something was very wrong.  She was lethargic and non-responsive.  I noticed that she was not standing properly, wobbling on her legs.  Something was very wrong.  Rob tried to give her and Snowdoll a dog treat.  She didn’t want it.  She went to take it because that’s part of the “game” but she just dropped it. 

Rob literally picked her up and carried her first to our bed (and you know, he never ever lets the dogs on the bed) before we mutually agreed she needed to see a vet ASAP.  He left and I called the vet.  They did some x-rays ($300) which were inconclusive.  They want to do an ultrasound ($450) and wanted her to go to an emergency vet clinic for an overnight ($1000) where she would be given fluids and pain management.  Needless to say, we could not afford what they wanted to do so we brought her home.

Truth is, as distressing as it was to have her here in pain, given her separation anxiety, of course we were happier to have her here than alone in some crate in some pet hospital.  The vet gave us some morphine to give to her every six hours and it was enough to dull the pain but not enough to numb it.  She slept and when she slept we slept.

In the meantime, I reached out to Mary because she volunteers with the pet rescue and the vet there will step in and take over Holly’s care this morning.  We just need to give her a call.  Which we will do later, when normal people are up on a Sunday.  Not too late but not now, at 8am, when I am writing this. 

We are avoiding our thoughts, avoiding our feelings.  We are doing what we need to do to keep Holly from suffering more than she is already.

How much love does she have for us?  How much trust?  Whatever is wrong, the pain is localized in her abdomen and she, when I sit down by her side, tries to roll over on her back so I can rub her belly, even as she whimpers in pain.  And so I gently rub her belly, showing her as much love as she shows us.


12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is heartbreaking! I hope she can get some relief soon. Did they have any theories on what it might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, Thank you. Our theories have been all over the place but right now it's safe to say it was an intestinal obstruction tat had to be worked through gradually.

      Delete
  2. This is so sad. Satia, best wishes for sweet Holly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suko, The wishes must be working. And she is very sweet.

      Delete
  3. My thoughts are with you. We went through something similar with our Tigger just a few months ago. She had all the symptoms of a GI obstruction, but her tests didn't show it. They ultimatly prescribed oral pain meds and a GI motility drug and it took about 2 weeks for her to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I think that's what we have going on. There was the possibility of its being pancreatitis but now it seems like it's not quite that serious.

      Delete
    2. A mild case of pancreatitis is what they diagnosed Tigger with. Thankfully, she fully recovered. WIshing your pup also has a full and fast recovery.

      Delete
    3. Well, I have all sorts of good news but I'm holding off on sharing it until I see a bit more evidence of her being better. She's definitely more playful.

      Delete
  4. So sorry you're going through this, Satia. Good for you and for her that there's so much mutual trust developed.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I was astounded when, knowing the pain is localized in her abdomen, she lifted her haunch to have me rub her belly. It was such a delicate moment and one that went deep into my heart.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about Holly's pain. I hope you get an answer and a solution very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, I think we may be out of the woods. We're at least breathing a sigh of relief.

      Delete