Thursday, March 06, 2014

Things to See or Not #3



I read the novel because friends recommended it to me and, at first, I liked it.  Technically, it was interesting, effectively using a fractured timeline to tell the story.  The premise was also unique enough to keep me reading even though I completely disliked the characters.  All of them.  Sometimes a story will grow on me, even if I don’t like the characters

Not this time.  The more I thought about the book after I read it, the more I disliked it.  Which is why I am surprised to say that I liked the movie better.  I don’t know if it’s because it necessarily had to cut out most of the parts of the novel that made me dislike the novels so the characters are less distasteful.  If you liked Somewhere in Time, you will probably like this movie.  If you did not like the movie, you may want to give the movie a chance.  Or not. 


What took me so long to see this?  Terry Gilliam.  He has a knack for creating visual effects I find somewhat disturbing so I avoided this film for a while.  And this in spite of my love for Monty Python.  I think I would have enjoyed this movie so much more if I had seen it with someone else, even an audience of strangers. Or perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had watched it without frequent Holly interruptions.  (Seriously, you'll read more about the frequent Holly interruptions on Saturday and I don't know many movies that can hold up to more than one bathroom break.)  Maybe I just need to just watch Monty Python’s Flying Circus.  At worst, Holly would interrupt a skit and I’d likely enjoy the next one without interruption. 


My daughter assured me that I could pick up with this television series with Christopher Eccleston’s turn as The Doctor.  For those unfamiliar with Dr. Who, you need to be prepared for some goofiness, some scary moments (Are you my mummie?), and some poignant ones as well.  You pretty much don’t know what you’re going to get from episode to episode.  You just sort of have to go along for the ride, buckle yourself in and trust that you’ll have a good time.  Don’t give up after the first few episodes but, if after the first season, you aren’t hooked, then you probably should find something else to watch.  There's a reason this show has such a huge, cult-like following.  There really is something for everyone, or nearly everyone.  Whether you like to cry or laugh, an episode will eventually come along that does one or the other or both.  I love Eccleston and Billie Piper.  I'd say more but I don't want to write anything that might be a spoiler.  

4 comments:

  1. I didn't read the book! I liked the movie! I also loved "Somewhere In Time." I watched it over and over when I was younger. I really liked the actors in the movie, that may be part of why I liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book allows the characters to be more selfish and unlikable, perhaps because in a novel you can do more than you can within the limited time frame of a film. Which is why I didn't like them because they all do things that make them seem less sympathetic. You get an inkling of it with the "elective surgery" the one character decides to do but there are other things other characters do that left me not liking any of them.

      Delete
  2. It's very uncommon for me to like a movie more than a book, but I do understand what you mean. Normally, when they can build a character it helps the story, apparently in this case it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I can think of a few examples but I agree--typically the book is better than the movie. Jaws was definitely a better movie. And I almost never watched The Princess Bride because I found the novel so annoying because of its ending.

      Delete