Friday, March 28, 2014

Weekly Quotes 2014 #12



This book does not have page numbers so I am unable to offer parenthetical pagination.  I suppose I could write in numbers myself but that's time consuming and I didn't think it especially mattered this one time.

What would I discover about the cottonwoods if when I walked to the mailbox I listened to them instead of looked at them?  What would I find out about the rain if I didn’t run inside?  And is it possible that a sunrise would refresh me more than sleep? 

open
and alert
empty
and available
human and
alive

waiting
(without purpose)
ready
(without wanting)
existing
(without needing)

Sometimes when I am scared I like to turn on the light. 

My growth does not seem to be a matter of learning new lessons but of learning the old lessons again and again.  The wisdom doesn’t change, only the situations.

So often I wrestle with myself over how I want to feel instead of trying to discover how I really feel.


Eventually, a kind of professional scribal class came to be a part of the Christian intellectual landscape, and with the advent of professional scribes came more controlled copying practices, in which mistakes were made much less frequently. . . . It would be a grave mistake . . . to think that because later manuscripts agree so extensively with one another, they are therefore our superior witnesses to the ‘original’ text of the New Testament.  For one must always ask:  where did these medieval scribes get the texts they copied in so professional a manner?  They got them from earlier texts, which were copies of yet earlier texts, which were themselves copies of still earlier texts.  Therefore, the texts that are closest in form to the originals are, perhaps unexpectedly, the more variable and amateurish copies of early times, not the more standardized professional copies of later times.  (71-72)

Scarcely anything has made a more revolutionary impact on the modern world than the printing press, the next closest thing (which may eventually, surpass it in significance) is the advent of the personal computer.  (76-77)

Printers for the most part did not search out new manuscripts that might be older and better in order to base their texts on them.  Instead, they simply printed and reprinted the same text, making only minor changes.  (79)

If one did not know which words were original to the Greek New Testament, how could one use these words in deciding correct Christian doctrine and teaching?  (84)

There are more variations among our manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament.  (90)


There are some kinds of profound wisdom that I hope never to gain from my own experience.  (196)

After college, my roommate was in a bad car accident, and I flew out to Hawaii to see her.  She was wearing a halo brace with bolts drilled into her skull.
“Do you feel lucky to be alive?” I asked.
“Well, actually,” she said, “I feel like I really wish I hadn’t been in a damn car crash.”  (220)

When researchers tried to figure out what helped third- and fourth-graders remember what they read, they found that the students’ interest in a passage was far more important that the “readability” of the passage—thirty times more important.  (228)

I feel compelled to make lists of foreign words that describe concepts that English can’t convey (flâneur, darshan, eudaimonia, Ruinensehnsucht, amae, nostalgie de la boue). . . .  (230)

Flawed can be more perfect than perfection.  (242)


Clearly, being anxious is a full-time and rather exhausting occupation.  (2)

If you have ever opened a can of worms, boxed yourself into a corner, ended up in hot water, or found yourself in a pretty pickle, you already know that life is rarely (if ever) just a bowl of cherries.  (119)

When the impossible becomes merely difficult, that’s when you know you’ve won.  (154)

. . . I suppose that is what is meant by ‘growing up’ . . . .  Finding out the different between what one expected one’s life would be like and how things really are.  (165)


This is called “selective truth telling,” and it is frequently used in political campaigns, toy advertisements, and other forms of propaganda.  (166)


You thought navigating the cafeteria was treacherous?  There’s a little place called the teacher’s lounge, my friend, and it is where the human spirit goes to die.  (125)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed these quotations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suko. Always nice to see a familiar face in the comments. :)

      Delete