Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In: And the Boot Camp Comes to a Close

It is so strange to be on the other side of the boot camp.  I received another email and there were 150 free spaces yet again but I stepped back, hoped that 150 other people would have the opportunity I enjoyed so much. 

But more than that, I started pouting before the boot camp was even over!  I stopped posting about my daily workout on My Fitness Pal.  I even skipped two days, allowing a confusing schedule be my reason for not getting my workout done first thing in the morning.  It was not like me and I knew it was rooted in my anticipating the days ahead without Coach Jonathan, Coach Stephanie, and Coach Erik. 

Clearly, my goal to focus on acceptance was not a priority this past week.   

But Sunday morning, I set aside all resistance and I pulled out the Firm Zip Trainer Medicine Ball Kit and I began using the calendar.  Day one—strength.  I didn’t use the balls or free weights, just as the person in the video suggests.  I definitely had an easier time going through the movements although there were a few times I took a misstep.  Still, I felt like I was more on top of things than I was the previous times I tried to do the workout.

The workout is only 15 minutes and you only do one workout the first week.  I decided to add a step workout to my daily exercise, doing 15 minutes so that I would be doing a full 30 minutes, just as I had been doing during the boot camp. 

On Monday, I did the cardio workout, without using the balls, and I had a hard time keeping up, even without the confusion of the balls.   I don’t know how many more times it will take me to get the hang of doing the cardio workout without the balls.  I will say that if you live in a home where you have to be careful with how much noise you make, you won’t be able to use this kit.  Between the stomping and plyo moves, your neighbors will hate you.

Again, I ended up using my step to do a full 30 minutes.  I’ll continue using the step on days when I’m only doing 15 minutes with the kit.  I am trying to build up the muscles that are used to climb stairs because my life is lived in a home with very few steps while my mother lives in a home with many.  I figure it can’t hurt for me to practice.  Also, using a step is recommended for those who have knee problems.  Preventative medicine, if you will.

We have a scale again but I didn’t weigh myself on my traditional weekly weigh-in day (Sunday) so I am going to postpone my announcing an official weekly weigh-in result.  However, I did take my measurements at the end of the boot camp.  After four weeks, I’d lost a total of 8.8 inches.  After eight weeks, I lost 6 more inches for a total of 14.8 inches.

I lost 14.8 inches in eight weeks.  Yay me!



8 comments:

  1. I went to some online measures converter and realized that you've lost 37.6 cm!! I mean, wow, it's a great result! I congratulate you on this wonderful achievement, and I totally admire you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ekaterina, That goes to show you how distracted I was when I wrote this because I do try to include metric measurements along with our archaic American ones. I'll do better next time!

      No need to admire. I was fortunate to be given an opportunity to participate in the boot camp and I took advantage of the opportunity. Now I hope I can maintain the momentum.

      Delete
  2. Almost 15 inches?? That's amazing. You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling pretty inspired myself. Some of the numbers were a bit disappointing (gaining anything in the waist is not the most encouraging thing to see) but being able to see the overall, total inches, helped me keep that gain in perspective. I think. ;)

      Delete
  3. Those are terrific results from your boot camp. I like your idea of doing the step workout along with the medicine ball routine. I avoided steps when I was first diagnosed with arthritis in my knees. I've since figured out that if I keep my muscles strong enough than taking steps is good for my knees, not bad for them -- a much better strategy!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I was surprised to see step exercise on the list of "good for your knees" but it does make sense. I put the step on the lowest level so I'm not stepping UP as high as it can go. I can always work up to that later. For now, just doing something is important. I skipped the step altogether yesterday. I have to be more careful about not letting half a day of work wear me out so much I can't get in my daily workout.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic results! I understand a little pouting. It is so much easier to exercise when you have a motivator. At least, you pulled out the Firm workout and got right back at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I think it helped that I had a game plan in place. I knew the boot camp wouldn't last forever and I didn't want to reach the end wondering "Now what?" I lucked out when I was given the opportunity to get the medicine ball kit for free and I'm committed to using it daily (six out of seven days, anyway) for four weeks. The kit comes with a calendar recommendation of how to use the kit and outlines eight weeks of workouts. I want to at least give myself four weeks to feel comfortable with the moves (which I really am not at this point). If after four weeks I still feel hopelessly awkward then I'll shift to another workout DVD set I have on hand. So in four weeks or eight, I already have something else in mind for myself.

      Delete