Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In and Exercising With The Firm Zip Medicine Ball Kit


With the boot camp behind me, I began using the Firm Zip Medicine Ball Kit.  As I explained in my previous post, the kit comes with a calendar and I will be following their calendar’s suggested workouts for each day.  During the first week, we only do one of the workouts.  That’s only 15 minutes of exercise a day.  Next week, however, there are two days when we do two back-to-back workouts.

Thus far, I am still not excited with these workouts.  In my review, I mentioned that the instructors do encourage the user to not use the medicine ball or the core ball during the workout.  But, honestly, this suggestion is just weird because so many of the exercises require the use of the medicine ball.  I am still feeling too uncoordinated to follow the moves and the same 3 workouts were rotated the first six days so I did them the first time without the ball and then used the ball the second time around.  (I’m a rebel and always used the core ball.)

And we got a scale so I was able to weigh-in this week.  Woohoo!  Better still, I lost nearly 4 lbs in 3 weeks.  That means I’m still in my target range of losing 1 lb a week.

Share your workouts and experiences
over on Joy's Book Blog.
Scheduling changes have me messed up, though.  With the internship I’m doing, I find myself unable to exercise at all in the afternoon.  I’m too tired and there really isn’t enough time.  I get home around 1:30 and have lunch.  Then I still have things to do around the house.  I know that if I don’t do everything in the morning, I won’t do it at all.  In other words, I haven't been hitting the step as often as I had hoped I would.  It’s a good thing that the calendar will have me doing 30 minutes and not just 15 starting next week.  I’m used to my 30 minutes with the boot camp.  It was working and I'm worried that 15 minutes won’t be good enough to continue my weight loss progression.  So fingers are crossed and I’ll continue with the kit in hopes of getting used to the moves, assuming that practice will make a difference and familiarity won’t necessarily breed contempt.

(Quick explanation:  The medicine ball that comes with the kit unzips to reveal a core ball.  The medicine ball weighs 5 lbs and the core ball weighs 3.  When the core ball is zipped up inside the kit, it's 8 lbs all together.  I hope that makes sense.)


8 comments:

  1. Cool that you're still getting in some workout with the internship. I work out fairly late in the day -- after my brain is fried and late enough that the exercise helps me sleep better. I look forward to hearing whether the workouts get easier to follow as you learn them.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I certainly hope my body finds the rhythm of these workouts because it would be a shame to have to just give this kit away. That is what I would do, however, because shipping it would be too costly. At least I'm committed to sticking with it for the duration and I know what I'll do if my experience doesn't turn positive.

      Delete
  2. Yes, that makes sense! It sounds interesting. It's good to change up your work outs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it made sense, Betty. And I definitely like to change up the workouts. I'm looking forward to April when we plan on taking the dogs for some leash training. Once they are trained and we can take them for walks, I will be able to mix things up more easily than I have been lately.

      Delete
  3. I go to physical therapy twice a week to strengthen my back and legs. My therapist has me doing all sorts of exercises. I must say it is helping my back, the next time I go she will be having me work on my legs to strengthen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I used to call my PT a sadist but I know that the work we did was what started me on the path to being able to walk without a walker. Not that my doctor or PT were sure I could or would. I think so much depended on my commitment and my not over-doing things. (I tend to over-do so much that my husband will tell doctors not to encourage me or I'll be back in 2 weeks with an injury.)

      Delete
  4. I have to exercise in the morning or I'll make too many excuses and end up skipping it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and anything can cause me to get distracted. Like today Rob has a training thing so I sent him off to work around the time I usually do my exercising. Here I am 3 hours later, wondering if the dogs will give me a break long enough to just get 15 minutes in. Ugh.

      Delete