Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Weekly Weigh-In With a Gain . . . oops

I know I didn’t post last week’s weigh-in.  I did lose some weight again but this last week, thanks to my birthday and regaining a pound before I even started eating my way through my birthday. 

All told, I regained 3.5 lbs.  Ugh.  But you know, I think it was worth it.  Mostly because, you know, rosewater ice cream is worth it in my book. 

Anyway, I gave up on The Firm Zip Medicine Ball kit a week earlier than I had planned.  Between Holly’s health issues and the stress, I simply couldn’t motivate to do something I didn’t enjoy doing.  Yes, there are elements of the workout I like but I can easily apply those elements to my own routine without suffering through theirs.  I just couldn’t face it another day. 

Which is why, on 1 April, I began doing my morning yoga again.  I am beginning with a series of sun salutations. My intention was to build up to ten and then do my usual free-form yoga practice.  It was working and I was enjoying it.  In fact, even when I spent the night at my son’s home, I did my surya namaskars before anyone else woke up.  It was lovely.  But yesterday I noticed a slight twinge in my right ankle (around the anterior talofibular ligament, for those who are interested) and the twinge quickly turned into a sharp pain.  I had to stop my series before I was finished. 

This morning, the twinge came back.  So I went ahead and found the free No Excuses workouts and chose one of Jonathan’s because he usually focuses on the upper body.  It was a good choice and I got a good workout in even though I had to sacrifice my morning yoga as a result. 

I really miss the boot camp.  I sent in my before and after pictures hoping I would be the lucky one chosen, knowing that I probably would not be.  And I wasn’t.  Odds were not in my favor.  That’s okay.  If nothing else, I’ve proven myself to be resilient and resourceful.  I’m not going to give up any time soon.  I just need to readjust and get back into the swing of things. Every day matters and today I was dripping sweat again.

And it felt goooooood!

13 comments:

  1. Glad you found a way to work around your challenges.

    I can't remember if I've told you my ankle story. They improved a huge amount when I started hiking and I haven't lost the improvement since I stopped. I figured out why when I read this strange little book called Play as if Your Life Depends on It by Frank Forencich. My ankles got smarter and learned to take care of themselves better. It's theory that I like!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, One of the goals we have for ourselves is to get the dogs leash trained so we can start taking them for a walk without the two of them getting tangled up in one another and/or pulling us along. I miss our daily walks.

      Delete
  2. Rosewater ice cream sounds wonderful! I make ice cream from time to time and will need to look up a recipe for that particular kind.

    It does feel good to exercise. And yoga stretches are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suko, It's easy enough to do. Make a basic vanilla ice cream base and then add rosewater. I would recommend adding it in very small doses because it can quickly become overpowering and make the recipe taste like perfume. This morning I had an idea of making a different kind of rosewater infused ice cream. I think Rob and I will be having a lot of fun this summer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Satia. Er, how do you get the rosewater? Do you make it with roses, or get it from a store?

      Delete
    3. Suko, You can find it at Whole Foods or other natural food stores but you probably need to find larger ones because, obviously, not everyone is running around looking to buy rose water. We specifically use this brand: http://amzn.to/1erSjrk

      You can also use it as a toner, after you wash your face. It's quite lovely. And, believe it or not, I saw a woman use it to moisturize her eyes (like eye drops). I've never been so bold but in Ayurvedic medicine it's not uncommon.

      I would not try to make your own unless you can 100% certain the roses you use are organically grown.

      Delete
    4. Thank you for your reply, Satia! It sounds like it has many potential uses.

      Delete
  3. I am currently in a cast for an ankle injury and I can't wait to get it off. I do think the hiking or running on uneven ground (trail running) can be good in building up flexibility and the ability to recover in your ankle joints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGCR, I am genuinely confused and surprised by this pain. I don't feel anything when I'm walking or doing other things but the moment I try to do a downward dog or move from that to a warrior pose, there is this pain. So it's definitely triggered by what is typically my most relaxing and beneficial form of exercise. :(

      Delete
  4. I am glad you enjoyed your birthday! A few pounds means getting back on track. The rosewater ice cream sounds delicious. You seem to be really committed to your exercise. I wish I had your commitment. I seem to be getting better with it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, It is so easy to fall off the exercise bandwagon. I'm trying to figure out how to get back on. I really want to be back into a daily habit, as I was when doing the boot camp.

      Delete
  5. It just seems like when you get into a routine it is so much easier. You get off for a few days and it is a struggle to get back in the routine. I know I feel better, but I keep thinking about all the other things I want to do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, Exactly! And the past few weeks have been anything but routine for us around here. Even with only the internship, I would have had a rough time keeping up my momentum but one thing on another was enough to throw me off my game. I just need to get back into the daily habit.

      Delete