Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Workout Plans for the Week


I have a friend who is a body builder.  She competes and everything.  She’s even won in her age bracket more than once.  And she’s only a few months younger than I am so whenever I need advice about exercise, I turn to her.  She’s my go-to source for all things physical.


In an anticipation of my being out of town, I needed to come up with something to do.  (And you know, given that I gained 8 lbs in spite of doing things one can only imagine how much I would have gained otherwise.)

She recommended the Scientific 7 Minute Workout (S7MW).  I immediately looked it up and realized that there were a couple of things I would find difficult to do.  Like stepping up on a chair.  I could step up on a step or a step-stool but on a chair?  Not so much.  But my friend chimed in and told me what modifications I could make to fulfill the demands of the workout without missing a muscle group.  I did it every day while I was there and occasionally added an extra abdominal routine to my daily exercise. 

Mossimo® Women's Mix and Match Polka Dot Tankini Swim Top -Black
I only wish I looked
this good but the suit
looks good enough
even on yours truly
So I did that on my vacation.  As soon as I came home, though, I knew I would have to get myself back on track and focus more seriously on my workouts.  Rob and I went for a walk one day.  I did a 45 minutes yoga practice another day. And even on a day when I head to the office for the morning, I do a 20 minutes yoga practice and the S7MW or ab workout, depending on my time and what I feel my body needs.

On days when I don’t go to the office, I’ll be tackling the Jillian Michaels DVDs or going for walks with Rob. 


This Saturday I’m going to do something I haven’t done since before 2006. I’m going to get into a swimming pool.  My friend, Kanika, and I are participating in an aquacize class.  I don’t know how this will go for me, frankly.  I don’t know how my body will respond to being in water.  I had hoped that my mother’s pool would be open/ready but it wasn’t.  Oh well.  This Saturday I’ll find out the hard way.  If I can’t do it, I can’t.  We can add one more thing my body doesn’t like anymore now that I have vertigo.  I’ll still have a cute polka dot swimsuit for the trouble and maybe I’ll find some use for it outside a pool and far away from a beach.

Knowing my luck, my schedule this week will implode and I'll have to rethink things.  We'll see how it goes.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with the pool work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I'm looking forward to it and I'm trying to convince myself that nobody will notice my cellulite.

      Delete
  2. Satia, I hope you enjoy the aquacize class. The swimsuit in the picture is cute. Finding an exercise class you actually enjoy makes all the difference. If you like it, you will do it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suko, I hope so too. It's been so long. I used to love swimming but now everything is different and I don't know how my body will respond. It will be interesting.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to take an aquacize class! I used to love to swim but live to far out in the country to make it to the gym and our yard is more sand than dirt, not good for the weight of a pool :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I've never really thought about soil quality determining whether or not someone can have a pool. Living too far from a pool I understand, however. I wouldn't be taking this class if not for my friend. There are no local public pools. And for all I know, my body will not function at all in a pool. Goodness knows, it's hard enough for me to deal on solid ground. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have a good plan! I hope the water classes work for you! You will look great in your new swim suit.
    I need to save the 7 minute workout for times when I am rushed and can get in a quick workout.

    I need to get a new swim suit. I am going to a water park this weekend with my grandsons. I dread going to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, My mother has always said fitting rooms need suicide hotlines in them during swimsuit season. I think they should hand you a glass of wine with every suit you try on and use candlelight. If you try on enough suits, when all is said and done, you'll probably just sign up to buy them all!

      Delete