Friday, July 18, 2014

Weekly Quotes Part 28


Disclaimer:  The following quotes are from various reading resources.  I copied them out because I found them interesting.  Interesting does not mean that I necessarily agree with the idea.  Interesting can be provocative as much as inspiring. If you are curious why I copied down a quote, feel free to ask me why; but please bear in mind the date of this post.  Ask me a year from now why I chose a particular sentence or even paragraph and I may have no clue what it was, at the time, that made me think it was worth recording.  Also, please check out my review blog for reviews of these, and other books and things.

The Mindfulness Path to Self-Compassion 


Words shape our experience.  (137)

You can tailor the phrases for everyday challenges in your own life.  For example, if you’re caught up in shame, you can repeat “May I accept myself just as I am.”  If you feel angry, try “May I be safe and free from anger.”  (138)

I know that self-directed loving-kindness makes me a better person, so I remind myself, “Give yourself the attention you need so you don’t need so much attention!”  (140)

Ironically, it’s precisely when we need love the most that it is hardest to give it to ourselves.  (141)

Sometimes we need to sneak up on ourselves with kindness (144)

Misquoting Jesus

I do not want to convey the false impression that this kind of theological change of the text happened every time a scribe sat down to copy a passage.  It happened on occasion.  And when it happened, it had a profound effect on the text.  (178)

Scholars today are by and large convinced that I Timothy was not written by Paul but by one of his later, second-generation followers.  (181-182)

In almost every instance in which a change of this sort occurs, the text is changes in order to limit the role of women and to minimize their importance to the Christian movement.  (182)

It is difficult to reconcile these two views—either Paul allowed women to speak (with covered heads, [I Corinthians] chapter 11) or not (chapter 14).  As it seems unreasonable to think that Paul would flat out contradict himself within the short space of three chapters, it appears that the verses in question do not derive from Paul.  (184)

Contrary to what many people appear to think, there was nothing “illegal” about Christianity, per se, in those early years.  Christianity itself was not outlawed, and Christians for the most part did not need to go into hiding.  The idea that they had to stay in the Roman catacombs in order to avoid persecution, and greeted one another through secret signs such as the symbol of the fish, is nothing but the stuff of legend.  (196)

I Touch the Earth, the Earth Touches Me

Filling my head with thoughts sometimes gives me the illusion of not being alone.

One way of looking at a fantasy is to notice what it does for me physically, what it triggers in my body, how it changes my behavior . . . . [W]hat about the fantasies I use to keep myself angry over an incident already past, or the ones I use to stop me from taking a reasonable risk?

Me:  “There is something wrong with my life and I don’t understand what it is.”
Dream:  “Look, I’ll draw you a picture.” 

. . . [M]y dreams could be interpreted as saying, “Look what you were feeling today—you didn’t fully acknowledge it.” 

The insanity of holding back my anger is that I am evidently more willing to risk destroying me than destroying a relationship.

Letter to a Christian Nation

If we are going to take the God of the Bible seriously, we should admit that He never gives us the freedom to follow the commandments we like and neglect the rest.  Nor does He tell us that we can relax the penalties He has imposed for breaking them. (22)

It is clearly possible to say that someone like Hitler was wrong in moral terms without reference to scripture.  (24)

. . .  Christians . . . spend more “moral” energy opposing abortion than fighting genocide . . . are more concerned about human embryos than about the lifesaving promise of stem-cell research . . . preach against condom use in sub-Saharan Africa while millions die from AIDS there each year.  (25)

[A]nyone who feels that the interests of a blastocyst just might supersede the interests of a child with a spinal cord injury has had his moral sense blinded by religious metaphysics.  (32)

[W]hich is more moral:  helping people purely out of concern for their suffering, or helping them because you think the creator of the universe will reward you for it?  (34)

Further Out Than You Thought

What she pictured was elegant, easy, streamlined. As if wisdom could arrive cleanly as mail, or the newspaper on one’s doorstep.  As if wisdom didn’t come from getting dirt under one’s nails.  (11)

To make a fantasy real is to lose the fantasy.  (60)

If labia are lips, then the cunt is a mouth, and a mouth shapes one’s voice into words.  In the beginning was the word—the word made flesh, in the cave where we each were formed. Even closed, labia sing the mystery of the source.  (61)

She was the world without end. . . . (161)

When had they become them?  When had they gone from subject to object?  When had they become the other?  The they on which one can project one’s own darkness, one’s shadow?  (91)

No comments:

Post a Comment