Sunday, July 06, 2014

Weekly Update: Discouraging Diagnosis and Dependent Independence Day

Using a cane.
On Tuesday I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knee.  By this point, it had been swollen and hurting for nearly two weeks.  So an x-ray and quick exam later, I was diagnosed and sent on my way with a prescription in hand. 

I wish I could tell you that my leg is better but that is not the case.  On Friday the medicine I was taking made me sick.  I had no choice but to stop taking the one thing that was supposed to help the swelling in my knee to go down.  I was so sick I didn’t even want to take anything else.  In fact, I felt so badly, I had to tell Kanika I wouldn’t be coming to her party after all. 

That didn’t keep us from not making something for the party.  It was a luau themed party so we made a Hawaiian cole slaw with mandarin oranges and pineapple.  It was good but I only had a taste because I sent Rob to the party without me.

Not the way either of us wanted to spend our Independence Day.

The truth is, I am not handling this recent diagnosis very well.  During the exam, the doctor kept asking me if I am a runner.  This is not a surprising question.  I often get this because of my low blood pressure and slow heartbeat.  Low blood pressure plus slow heartbeat is common for highly athletic people so I had to tell her that I am not a runner.  The conversation went like this:
Are you a runner?
No.
What about when you were younger?  Did you run?
No.
Were you athletic in school?
(snort)  I was a bookworm.
I said this last and glanced at the book I had sitting on the exam table, the one I was reading while waiting for her to come to the room and give me my exam. 

So she told me what to do for my osteoarthritis.
  1. Lose weight
  2. Do yoga
  3. Tai-chi or Qi Gong
  4. Walking
  5. Water exercises

Something good
happened this week
Actually, she didn’t tell me I had to lose weight.  She was impressed with what I do for exercise and asked me about work.  When I told her I had a temporary job where I was standing up and standing and sitting down a lot, she made it apparent that it would have been better for my job to just allow me to sit down.  Water under the bridge because I did the best I could do under the circumstances and we all know how that turned out.

Which is why I’m feeling discouraged.  Can you blame me?  Everything I should be doing to take care of my knee I’m doing, have been doing, and/or am trying to do, and it’s not enough to keep me pain free.  And now I have another incurable condition to add to my list of conditions that will never ever go away but only get worse as I get older. 

Oh joy.

My step-father's childhood friend
died this week.
In other news, we bought a second crate for Holly.  We suspect that, in her past, she was a puppy-mill dog, forced to give birth to litters of pretty-as-she puppies.  My guess is that she was put into a crate with another dog for that purpose which is why, when we tried to put her into a crate with Snowdoll, she would freak out.  As it is, she goes into her own crate with more ease.  More ease doesn’t mean easily but she wasn’t freaking out to the same degree as before.  And it made taking me to the doctor easier. 

I’ve been home and on bed rest since Tuesday.

That’s been my week.  Adding to the “crazy” that seems to be par for the course this year and not changing any time soon. I’m still not able to walk without a cane and I’m beginning to find the bed an oppressive place to be.  Judging by the way my knee feels today, I am not leaving the bed any time soon.  So I need to figure out how to make this more fun.  Watch out!  Next week I may not have much to share about where I went but I’m pretty sure I’ll have some news about what I did.

I mean, besides going back to the doctor because, after nearly a week of bed rest if I'm still in pain, I obviously need to do something more.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, poor you! I just want to hug you and tell you everything will be OK, but first is not possible, and the second you probably know yourself already. I understand too well how discouraging it is to have something incurable and to do all the right things, e.g. exercises, without any effect. But you should not succumb to despair! Everything will be OK, even if it doesn't seem so right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ekaterina, I think I might be coping with this latest a bit better if the year, thus far, hadn't been so insane. And it probably doesn't help that I "walked" out on a job last week. Not that I can really walk. More like limped out of a job. But it's sort of adding insult to injury to insult at this point. *sigh*

      Delete
  2. Have you thought about acupuncture? It can help with pain control especially if you can't take meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I tried acupuncture for my vertigo so I would definitely be open to trying it for arthritis. It will depend on whether my insurance will cover it or not.

      Delete