Sunday, September 07, 2014

Weekly Update of an Uneventful Week


It’s been an uneventful week.  On Monday, I kissed and hugged my son goodbye, sending him back to Chicago where he will continue being happy, doing his graduate school research, and living his life.  I miss him.

We were able to get Marc off with the help of his brother Joe because, on Monday, we had to have our car towed to the mechanic’s.  There was some stress associated with this, truth be told, because Rob had a four day gig coming up for which he would need a car but this mechanic that we’ve never used before, assured and reassured us.  We would absolutely have our car back by Thursday.

Today is Sunday. 

We do not have our car back.

Thursday morning when Rob tried to talk with someone about the car, needing to know whether or not we should get a rental, we were once again reassured that the car would be ready at 4pm.  Shortly after 4pm, when he had heard from nobody about the car, we called and were able to get a rental in spite of its being the last possible moment.  So Rob was able to get to the gig on Friday with no problem. But not, as it turns out, without a lot of stress thanks to an uncommunicative mechanic. 



I have been doing more exercising this week but carefully, gradually, not trying to do too much or much more than I am already doing.  I use the bike on the lowest setting for 20 minutes a day.  On top of that I’m doing a wall-sit challenge that builds up to a single 6 minute session by month’s end.  I have replaced some of my physical therapy exercises with some mobility ones, moving my hips and legs in a full range of motion.  Upper body and core work as well.  I managed to lose 2 lbs this week, which is encouraging.  Still above my goal weight but it’s easier to know that when I’m making progress.  I just really hope to make more progress before the holidays arrive. 

On our Saturday morning walk, Kanika made me an offer that I simply cannot refuse.  I won’t go into any details right here and now.  Suffice it to say, I will be busy the next few weeks.  And I have a project I plan on beginning in October that I’ll more fully reveal sometime in December, assuming I follow through on getting everything pulled together. 

10 comments:

  1. Nothing like messing about with a tradesman to get your blood pressure up! Glad to hear Rob was able to make his deadline. I hope the mechanic has a good reason for the delay.

    Way to go on the weight loss - steady progress is much easier to deal with, even if it's in very small stages, than a plateau. Just make sure you look after your knee, or I'll have to google some pouty baby faces to spam you with ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it turns out, they had to order a part but they didn't call with that news until Friday which, if I remember my days of the week correctly, would be after the day they assured us the car would be ready. So yes, all's well that ends well. Rob will return the rental car tomorrow but that still leaves us unsure when we will be able to pick up our car. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my car was in the shop, I kept getting delay after delay. Luckily they were paying for my rental though so that helped. Kudos on the weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, I hope we don't get delay after delay because we can't afford not to have a car. Not right now, anyway.

      Delete
  4. I hope the car repair works out soon! The stationary bike seems like a good way to get your cardio going again. I did range of motion exercises for a while after my initial diagnosis of arthritis. But, as things got better, I realized that I was really going through my ranges of motion with normal exercise. I attended a couple of in-pool classes for arthritis survivors and discovered that the attendees got no other exercise. I would need range of motion exercises if I weren't doing anything else.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the car came home with a squeal so we have to take it to our regular mechanic and find out if the "repairs" are the cause of the new squeal or a new problem altogether?

      I think ROM is so important, especially when given a diagnosis like arthritis. When I come home from my trip, I'll be trying to move a little more into my fear, both figuratively and metaphorically. But I don't want to do anything that might cause me injury before we leave for London.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a tough week, but I think it's great that you've been able to get your exercising in.

    I don't even want to talk about cars - mine has a couple of major issues, but it's too old to put money into, but I'm not ready to buy a new one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I am so happy to be able to exercise again, words cannot express my gratitude.

      And I love our Saturn. It's old but it's the first car I've had that I truly love. I don't want to retire it, although it probably deserves to be put away forever. :(

      Delete
  6. Sorry you had such a rough time with the mechanic! Thankfully we fix all our vehicles ourselves so we don't have to deal with them, and it's cheaper.

    Glad you got to spend time with your son(s)!

    It sounds like you're doing great as far as exercising! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I'm happy to say that the car is home now and it seems to be running well. And spending time with my children is always a treat. Marc will be back for Christmas. Oh boy!

      It's so nice to be able to move again. I'm still hesitant but in October I'll do more than I have been. I don't want to hurt myself and end up limping my way through London.

      Delete