Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Specials Are Still Special


I will never, ever outgrow Christmas specials.  I watched most of them when I was a child at other people’s homes but, when my children were little, we had a television so we would all gather around the television and lose ourselves in Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town and any and every other special that came along, falling love with some and horrified by others. 

Then one year, one of my children tried to convince me that Christmas specials are for little children.  I told all three of my children that they can’t outgrow them until I outgrow them.  At least, they couldn’t so long as they lived under my roof.  Now that they are scattered to the winds, I don’t know which, if any, they watch.  I don’t know if they look to see what new specials are airing and make time to watch them in hopes of finding a new treasure. 

Here is what I do know.

I know that A Charlie Brown Christmas is Marc’s favorite and that he would stand up and dance whenever Schroder, instead of letting the pageant rehearsal continue, started playing music.  And that, even when he’s too old to watch them all, he’ll probably still find time to watch this one every year.

I know that there are some charming Christmas specials that aren’t available on DVD and I wish someone would re-release them.  (Hint:  For Better or For Worse:  The Bestest Present and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.) 

I know that Joe says his favorite is How the Grinch Stole Christmas and that I was surprised to learn that nobody has given Bibi the book.  I think it’s one of those things where everyone thinks someone else will do it or has already done it so it never happened. 

I know that Rob loves Christmas specials as much as I and we go out of our way to watch the new ones.  We don’t necessarily watch them all.  We don’t necessarily watch them all the way through.  But we take great pleasure in finding a new one to make our ho-ho-holidays just a little brighter.

So tell me, do you ever watch holiday specials?  If you do, which ones are your favorites?   

6 comments:

  1. Joe usually texts me when he knows what time they are coming on. I could try recording them since they are usually on too late for Bibi but when we cancel our cable, it will have been pointless for now.

    I love Christmas specials and I wish Bibi loved them as much as I did as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that the children loved them as much as I did. Do. Maybe there's no way anyone could enjoy them as much as I.

      Delete
  2. I'm not big on them. My husband was so excited when there were 2 of them on the other night. He was singing the songs and called our so. At college to tell him that he missed watching them with him. They always watched them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so sweet that he called your son. I think it's safe to say that I sang along to EVERYTHING because that's what I do. I sing. A lot.

      Delete
  3. Satia, I loved Christmas specials as a child, and still do. My favorite is probably Rudolph. I love the songs. I don't always watch it now but try to, when possible. I also love Miracle on 34th St.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed Miracle on 34th St for a couple of years now. I'm beginning to think we need to get a copy on DVD. Maybe I should add it to my Secret Santa list. Hmmmm . . .

      Delete