Friday, December 12, 2014

Have a Beary Merry Christmas!

This picture was taken years ago
We don't put gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve night but I didn't want a fully decorated tree with nothing underneath it.  So I started buying stuffed Christmas bears to go under the tree.  Every year, I would buy another pair of bears--some brown, some white.  (This year I realized I never ever bought a same-sex pair.  I regret that oversight.)

Can you imagine the temptation these bears were for poor Romanov?  He would sniff them and think that surely one of these irresistible toys is for puppies.  Snowdoll, never as enamored of toys as Romanov, pays little heed to them.  Holly finds them tempting but, so sweet tempered is she that a simple "no" suffices. 

I love this idea but Rob's family puts gifts under the tree as they come (and are wrapped, I presume).  He likes the bears but doesn't love them.  So this year, I will be adding some gifts under the tree.  I'll put Bibi's birthday gifts under there first. Then I'll wrap and add some of the Christmas gifts.  Why not?  After all, I've already wrapped the gifts we're sending off to his family in Kentucky.  I may as well keep the wrapping momentum going.  Right? 

But you never really think about the implications of merging families until family traditions come forth.  As you have already noticed, in our family we have a lot of traditions. Rob's family did too. None of them overlapped.  He opened one gift on Christmas Eve.  We opened none.  We decorated right after Thanksgiving.  He decorated later.  We opened gifts one at a time, each taking turns.  His opened them all in a flurry of activity. 

So I guess it's only fair for me to concede on such a minor point, don't you think?  Add some gifts under the tree day by day.  Before I do that, though, I have to do some laminating.  Why?  Well, I'll explain that in my next post. 

4 comments:

  1. I love all your Chrstmas posts. I really feel as if I am getting to know the real Satia more each and every day.

    My husband and I now having a merging of traditions. It took a few years, but now it seems we have "our" traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob has embraced most of our traditions as his own. I mean who wouldn't love not cooking on Christmas? He also likes how we open gifts (which I'll be writing about today). So many of "mine" have become ours. But we do open one gift on Christmas Eve, just the two of us.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of the bears under the tree! Thanks for sharing some of your changing traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying these posts very much. The sharing is easy because these are things I especially enjoy about our holidays.

      Delete