Monday, December 08, 2014

Holiday Buffet Part Two


The Holiday Buffet is a day-long affair and around 10 or 11, we pull out the cheese, cold cuts, a shrimp platter, deviled eggs, and other proteins.  This year I’d like to make some “caprese salad bites”—a grape tomato, mozzarella cheese, and a bit of fresh basil on a toothpick with a drizzle of balsamic dressing.  Simple but yummy. 

All of the food from earlier in the day is still out on the table but we add more protein and savory foods.  To be honest, we probably should start with this and shift to the overflowing sweetness because by this time we’re in a sugar coma.  Still, it’s nice to have some protein to enjoy. Marc loves deviled eggs and Rob loves shrimp.  And who doesn’t love cheese? 

In the meantime, we also have waves of drinks to enjoy.  Naturally, there’s coffee which can be served with eggnog or plain ol’ half and half.  We also have a hot chocolate bar which will be extra special this year.  We’ll have milk and cocoa which can be sweetened with sugar or honey or sweetener.  And in the past we’ve had peppermint and whipped cream and such.  This year, however, we will have everything that is featured in this wonderful infographic I found online. Yes, even dried lavender.  And yes, I’ll be indulging in some floral yumminess!

When it comes time to have dinner, we usually start making hot hor d’oevres.  Meatballs with dip.  Mini eggrolls.  Bruschetta.  Okay, bruschetta isn’t hot but it’ll be brought out later in the day.  I would love to have some steamed dumplings too.  We’ll see how it goes.  And usually there’s some mini-pizza something as well because we love love love pizza.

I also love Amaretto Di Saronno so we’ll have a bottle of that.  I add it to my eggnog and sometimes to my coffee.  And my daughter loves fruitcake. Seriously.  I know everyone says that nobody likes fruitcake but she does. So we buy a small fruitcake for her every year.  This year, in addition to her fruitcake, we have a stollen type bread with a some marzipan in the middle.

You’re probably thinking this is a lot of food. And you’d be right. But do the math.  We start with me and my husband. Then there’s my son, Marc, who will be in town. Then Joe will be over with my daughter-in-law and granddaughter.  My daughter is spending the night with them so she’ll arrive with them and their roommate Matt will also be with us for most of the gift giving. During the day, at least two people will drop by.  We’ve had years where six people have come by at some point, sometimes with a date, sometimes with a child.  You just never know.  So we are prepared, for anything and everyone.

You’re invited.  After all, if you’ve read this far without running off to eat something, the least I can do is offer you a little something to eat. I'm sure you'll find something delicious to eat. 

6 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! I love your buffet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the buffet too because it doesn't take a lot of work. Mostly it's setting things up, then clearing things away and setting more things up. If anyone goes hungry, it would have to be by choice. There are simply too many choices.

      Delete
  2. This all sounds delicious to me, Satia! It's nice to get a small fruitcake for your daughter. (I wouldn't mind a cake made with fruit, but I don't like traditional fruitcake.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shira is the only one who likes fruitcake. I always take a small piece. Convinced that someday I'll change my mind. Maybe someday I'll make one from scratch. Sometimes homemade is superior to store bought.

      Delete
  3. Wish I lived closer. This sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, Needless to say, we would love to have you and yours. I'm sure your son and my granddaughter would get along swimmingly.

      Delete