Monday, December 15, 2014

It's a Wonderful (Murderous) Movie

I was in my twenties before I finally saw It’s a Wonderful Life.  My friends had all seen it because, back then, the movie was aired repeatedly because of copyright issues and, eventually, NBC became the only station allowed to air it and then only a few times a season.   So while everyone seemed to be dead familiar with the movie, I was completely oblivious.

For years I assumed this was because we didn’t have a television.  I mean, I had seen some holiday specials, probably thanks to being at my Aunt Frances’, being babysat.  Most of my television watching occurred while at my aunt’s apartment.  (I even saw the first lunar landing and Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon.)  Of course, holiday specials only last an hour, or a mere 30 minutes, while It’s a Wonderful Life lasts hours, with commercials.

Recently I learned the truth.  My mother hates the movie.  Not just dislikes it considerably.  She loathes it. Two years ago she said, “If you watch That Movie, I’ll kill you to put you out of your misery.”  Of course, this is the same woman who allowed me at the age of 6 or 7 to drag her repeatedly to see The Sound of Music because I somehow fell in love with it and seeing the movie more than once became an imperative.  (Given my age, I’m assuming the movie was playing at a revival theater where the tickets were reduced to a reasonable $1.  I’m also assuming that she will someday forgive me for making her take me to see it seven times.)

My mother hates other sentimental movies (Sweet November, Dark Victory, Forrest Gump) but she has never promised to murder me if I were to watch, let alone like, any of them.  Clearly, It’s a Wonderful Life holds a special place in her heart, obviously a very different place in her heart from the place the myriad of Frank Capra fans keep it. 

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha. Should see if it follows the Christmas Movie rules next year or is this a generalised killing spree she has planned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't ask me to watch it with you. I don't want my mother to murder me.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen it! My mother didn't threaten me, but for some reason I just didn't watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever decide to watch it, be prepared for sweetness. Lots of sweetness. Also, watch the original b&w, not the colorized monstrosity.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my! I've never heard of anyone hating this film so intensely.
    Satia, I, too, was a latecomer to the film. The first time I watched it, I was so tired (from all the Christmas events) that I fell asleep and missed much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my mother rarely does things in a small way. If she's going to put her energy into it, it's all or nothing. She loves deeply and loathes deeply as well. I guess that's how she maintains a semblance of balance. :)

      Delete
  4. Funny you should post about this movie! I have rarely every watched any Christmas movies, but did see and loved The Christmas Shoes. This past week though I've spent 99% of my tv watching on Christmas movies. I had never seen It's A Wonderful Life and saw it was on so I dvr'd it and watched it the other night. Unlike your mom, I loved it and wished I'd been watching it every year. which I'll do from now on.

    Love the story about your mom not liking it though. Wonder why she dislikes it so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I have no clue but I know that I won't be telling her that I watch it every year. Shhhhh . . . it'll have to be our little secret.

      Delete