Monday, December 01, 2014

New Month, New Blog Post: Advent Calendars

Today I opened started my Advent Calendar and I realized a few things.

For instance, I grew up without an advent calendar.  Don’t get me wrong.  Christmas was a Big Deal in our home.  But for some reason, in the midst of all the decorating and generosity, my mother never gave me an advent calendar.  Perhaps the only ones they had back then were overly religious and she, trying to raise me to come to my own understanding of the metaphysical, avoided such things.  I don’t know.  But I always wanted to have a permanent advent calendar for our home.  I even came up with a list of possible projects for creating all sorts of advent calendars using felt or matchboxes. 

This is probably why I became so excited when Marc came home with an advent card from his job at Starbucks.  I have filled it up with my holiday jewelry.  Mostly earrings but I have a few jingly bracelets and such hidden in the little drawers.  Not surprisingly, when I saw the advent calendar they have this year, I fell in love.  Each tin contains a little something and can easily be refilled year after year with different things—treats or favorite quotes or just all sorts of random goodness.

I suppose if I were a more generous person, I would send Marc home with this advent calendar but I’m not all that generous after all.

This year, Rob surprised me with an advent calendar all my own. I’ve never had one of these chocolate a day calendars.  This morning I had my first piece and was surprised.  There’s a picture of a candle beneath the chocolate which, itself, has a calendar design on it.  Is this what other children grew up with?  Bibi has the same calendar so, although she doesn’t know it, we’re sharing the experience together. 

Wearing my first piece of holiday jewelry after eating a piece of chocolate.  That’s how I started my day today.  And now Bibi won’t have to wait until her own child brings home an advent calendar from work.  Okay. Maybe I’m not generous enough to give away the other advent calendar but, thanks to Rob, I am sharing the advent experience with our granddaughter.

Here are links to some of the types of projects I used to find so inspiring.


I'm going to go ahead and create a Pinterest board of advent calendars.   I'm sure that there are many more uses for something like this--like counting down to a birthday or other holiday or special event.

10 comments:

  1. I never had an advent calendar growing up. Bibi and I were debating whether it's a countdown or a count until. Does she start with the 1 or the 24? I think she wants to start with the 24 and countdown. Yay! Advent calendars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. That could work too. I never even thought of that.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Satia! I just noticed that Starbucks has Advent calendars on Saturday. I usually get them for my kids from Trader Joe's; they are cute and reasonable. I didn't grow up with advent calendars either, but I like the idea of them, and how they help build patience and anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suko, I never thought about it that way. When I was little, my mother would buy me a box of Valentine's Day candy and it would last me weeks because I would only eat one piece a day. As for anticipation, I'm exploding with excitement already.

      Delete
  3. I didn't have advent calendars as a child either. I think maybe I should get a great one this year too! Better hurry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob found ours at Ikea. The Starbucks one is reusable so it has that in its favor. Couldn't convince Rob of that, however. Bah humbug.

      Delete
  4. My fiancee put her Advent calendar up the other day. I never had one but I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, I would still love to make one of my own someday but I'm content with the one I have for now. Albeit, I will ask my son if he'd like to take it home with him this year. I think I'm feeling less greedy all of a sudden.

      Delete
  5. Love the one in the first photo!
    I've never had one either, but after reading this post, I'm going to look for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I've been looking at advent kits. I'll share some of what I found in a blog post. Keep an eye out for that.

      Delete