Tuesday, December 02, 2014

'Tis the Season for Eggnog


I love egg nog.

This is an understatement above and beyond all imagining. I love egg nog in my coffee. Long before Starbucks and others introduced egg nog lattes.  I’m surprised it took everyone else so long to catch up.  And thus far, I haven’t found anything egg nog inspired I don’t love.  Well . . . I didn’t especially adore IHOP’segg nog pancakes, preferring their pumpkin pancakes.  But, hey!  I gave them a try!

But seriously yummy yum yum.  Part of our holiday tradition includes making Cream of Wheat using eggnog.  Actually, I use half eggnog and half milk, otherwise it’s too rich even for me.  Don’t tell my children, though.  They think I make it with only eggnog and they LOVE it. 

This year I made eggnog martinis for myself and my daughter.  I found the recipe here and, when my daughter saw it, she said “YES!”  I made a glass for my daughter-in-law who also liked it.  Definitely a winner. But, yet again, I’m reminded of something I’ve been doing for ages.  Traditionally, eggnog is spiked with rum or bourbon but I’ve always enjoyed spiking mine with Amaretto.  If you like Amaretto and haven’t tried this yourself, I highly recommend it.  If you make the eggnog martini, which also has vanilla vodka, tell me what you think.   

In the meantime, I'm going to try to find a gingerbread eggnog recipe because Hood used to offer a delicious one but the supermarket hasn't had it for a couple of years.  Also, if you like or even love eggnog,visit my Pinterest board where I've started saving all the yummy eggnog things I find online. When I try a recipe, I update the pin with whether we liked it or not and why.  It's okay. I'm willing to be an eggnog guinea pig so you won't have to try some yucky recipe for yourself.  :)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried eggnog since I was a child. My parents liked it, but I didn't. Maybe I need to give it another try. Maybe I just need to spike it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Betty! Spike it for sure! :) Alas, eggnog is one of those things that people love or hate so if you hate it, I apologize up front but my fingers are crossed you'll love it.

      Delete
  2. Satia, I have not had much egg nog, but your post is very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have an addiction to eggnog. Fortunately for me, I don't live near my son who says the supermarket near him has eggnog year round.

      Delete