Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Skeptical About the Master Cleanse


Tomorrow I start the Master Cleanse because I read and reviewed a book about it and figure that, to fully review the book, I should at least give it a go.  Truth is I’m skeptical.  I love doing juice fasts but this Master Cleanse doesn’t sound like much fun at all.  At least with a juice fast you have some variety. On the Master Cleanse you drink the same thing every day.  For ten days.  No wonder so many people are saying “I couldn’t do it” when I mention I’m giving it a try.  I’m not even sure I can do it but I’m going to give it my best effort. 

And I want to write about the experience here in a my blog so let me tell you my first thoughts regarding this Master Cleanse.

It’s expensive.

I mean, holy cow!  I’m supposed to use fresh lemons, preferably organic. Guess what?  Lemons right now cost about $1 each.  And in 10 days I’ll go through between 60-80 lemons (or so says the book).  Then there’s the maple syrup.  I need 2 quarts of organic Grade B maple syrup.  It costs over $30 a quart.  That’s already over $100 for ONE person.  Add to that the cayenne pepper which, thankfully, we already had in the house, and the Smooth Move tea and let’s just say it—this is not a cost-friendly plan.

We ended up getting bottled organic lemon juice because it was cheaper than fresh lemons.  Sorry. Some compromises simply had to be made.  And we had to buy 7 bottles of the stuff anyway.  Ugh.  But I’m ready for it.

So yeah.  I may not buy into this whole detox thing and I am not sure how this is superior to doing a juice fast but I am curious and like the idea of its being a challenge, a way to physically push myself.  And maybe blogging about it will get me back in the habit of blogging, which is something I haven’t been doing lately. Feel free to join me in this, if you can afford it, or live vicariously through my blog posts.  I start tomorrow.  

6 comments:

  1. I've heard many mixed things about it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OE, I will say that the book doesn't get too heavy handed with some of the more outrageous claims I've seen made about the Master Cleanse. That isn't to say that there are some odd things said in the book but, mostly, the author is honest and fair, saying that you'll lose water weight but will likely put it back on when you go off the cleanse, etc. I appreciated her candor. I'm curious to see how I respond to this and how I feel when I'm done, assuming I can actually last all ten days.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Satia, I like that you are willing to try this due to a book. Sorry you are finding the "cleansers" to be expensive! :(

    Once in a while, I do an apple cleanse, which is eating only apples, as many as you want, until dinner time. (I might throw in a little black coffee as well.) It is super simple and easy (and freeing in a way); I have a healthy dinner afterward to keep the good thing going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suko, I think I could do an apple fast for a day, especially knowing I could enjoy a healthy meal at the end of the day. But then I think I can get through most things if I have a healthy meal at the end of the day. Ten days of this is going to be a challenge.

      Delete
  3. Good Luck! I don't know if I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I don't know if I can do it but I can try. I already know how I feel about parts of it. I haven't tasted the official drink yet. Waiting for my stomach to settle down a bit.

      Delete