Saturday, March 14, 2015

21 Day Fix Day 7

Veggies chopped for making sauce

Exercise

Today for the 21 Day Fix, there is a yoga workout.  I confess, I was looking forward to the yoga because I have been avoiding my own yoga practice since I injured my knee last year.  And I love yoga.  But I have continued to use the bike almost daily, since that is my physical therapy.  I would like to be free to walk around the neighborhood as well but, until the renovations are finished, I cannot put the dogs into the crates which have been collapsed for the duration of the repairs.  All the more reason why I’ve enjoyed taking on the challenge of this exercise program and its dietary demands.

Speaking of demanding, today’s yoga workout was a bit of a wake-up call for me.  I have lost a lot of flexibility.  I haven’t been doing yoga since I injured my knee last summer because I’ve been afraid to cause myself another injury.  However, I now realize that I cannot afford the luxury of avoiding yoga.  I need yoga to be a part of my daily routine again.  Starting tomorrow, I will be adding a daily yoga practice to my morning. 

As for the 21 Day Fix Yoga Fix workout, you may notice I am not calling it a practice.  Yes, Autumn gives a nod to tradition (ending with namasté and such) but her yoga is more a Pilates/yoga fusion and her directions for some of the poses are unclear or more linked with Pilates than yoga.  For instance, in cat/cow (marjaryasan/bitilasana) you exhale for cat and inhale for cow. This is reversed in Pilates, where you often inhale on the contraction and exhale on the expansion.  I prefer the yoga method of breathing as you expand or widen and inhale as you draw inward.  Nonetheless, it is a good workout although not an especially good yoga practice.

Diet

I am still falling short in the containers, mostly the orange one in which I can put such things as salad dressing.  Only, I don’t use a lot of salad dressing.  Still, it is tempting when the dressing is so delicious.  I made the Dijon vinaigrette recipe in the food guide that comes with the DVDs and it is sooooo good.  I am almost tempted to have another grilled chicken salad today but we have some cod that I need to cook and tonight’s dinner includes a pasta sauce I made last night.

Progress

My replacement disk arrived yesterday so next week I’ll be able to do all seven days of the 21 Day Fix.  Obviously, I’ll continue using the bike and, as I stated above, I’ll be adding a short (20 minutes) of yoga to my daily routine.  I have missed my yoga practice and avoiding it was only giving into the fear of possibly reinjuring myself.  It’s time for me to let go of last summer and be where I am now, in this year, at this time.


4 comments:

  1. I am thinking about doing yoga again. I'll bet that I see a huge difference in flexibility too. I wasn't that great last time so that doesn't bode well.

    I'm glad the replacement dvd came in so we can hear about the entire program. You do such a good job of telling us about each step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, Although I did a lot of yoga, I was not very flexible. Couldn't touch my forehead to my knee or anything. I'm worse now but I love yoga.

      And thank you. I have more coming next week, of course. I won't be writing about it as a first-time experience (except for that one workout) but there's still more to share.

      Delete
  2. I've seen this a few times on tv and wondered if I'd like it. I think I might try it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I would recommend contacting Stephnanie Lane: https://www.facebook.com/fitstephanie

      She's my coach and she's been great about answering my questions and encouraging me without being pushy or overly intrusive. If you do contact her, please tell her I recommended her because I want her to know how much I appreciate all she's done to help me already. Sending you her way is my way of showing my gratitude.

      You can also follow her blog, if you're so inclined: http://fitstephanie.blogspot.com/

      Delete