Sunday, March 08, 2015

21 Day Fix Day One

Spring is coming. I promise.

Exercise

Day one of 21 Day Fix (21DF) and so far so good.  I did the modified version but I think I am going to have to modify it a little more.  The first move, after the warm-up, is called “Surrenders” where you basically go down on one knee, then the other (so that you are kneeling), then step up on one foot and back up all the way.  You do this on one side for one minute then the other side later in the set.  Remember, I exercise with 1) bad balance and 2) bad knees.  So you can imagine how challenging this is for me.  I don’t want to lose my balance as I am going down or up and wrench my knee or fall over completely. I pushed through it all today because I had not planned ahead and couldn’t immediately come up with a substitute. 

Google to the rescue.  I found several suggestions for good substitutes but found one I believe is the best. Instead of going down on my knees, I’ll do a forward lunge and a back lunge.  As it’s done on the DVD, I won’t alternate but do it on one side for the first set and the other for the second. 

Interestingly enough, a book I’m reading talks about planning ahead, to have contingency plans in place. Of course you can’t always plan ahead but, when you can, if you can, doing so helps keep you on track.  And now I have a plan in place for what I’ll do instead of the Surrenders because, between my balance and my knees, they are not a good exercise for me to do.   

Diet

Although there is no specific meal plan for the 21DF for most of the 21 days, there is a 3 Day Quick Fix (3DQF) which I am doing.  There are six meals beginning with breakfast (oatmeal and egg whites—not together) followed with a lot of grilled and steamed foods.  Grilled chicken breasts with steamed yams first.  Then steamed fish with veggies, more chicken but with veggies, then fish again with veggies, and finally some ground turkey and veggies. That’s four servings of veggies, 2 carbs, six proteins.  And notice—the carbs are in the morning. 

Okay.  Egg whites are blandblandbland so I added a pinch of spices to make it a bit more palatable.  I plan on doing that again.  And I added a dash of cinnamon to my oatmeal. All in all, it has been a good start to my day. I’ll post more about the 3DQF tomorrow. In the meantime, I feel good and accomplished.

Progress

I took my measurements and weighed myself this morning.  I won’t do my measurements again until I am done with the full 21 days.  However, I will be weighing myself.  Today is my baseline weight (and no, I’m not going to tell you).  Next Sunday, I’ll post a number with a + or – depending on whether I gained or lost. Needless to say, I’m hoping I lose.   

No comments:

Post a Comment