Sunday, January 10, 2016

Belated Happy New Year

My friend Pia gave me
this planner.  ♥
I had big plans for the start of 2016, most of them contingent on my laptop and the using thereof.  Then something happened and my laptop stopped.  So instead of hitting the ground running, I stuttered and stammered.  First things first—I pulled out Ye Olde Laptoppe and am using it.  But this is a very temporary solution to what I hope is not a permanent problem because this poor thing is ready to be retired and cannot handle documents of more than a few pages, struggles to pull up websites, and doesn’t want to communicate with the printer.

Or perhaps it’s the printer that is being uncommunicative.  I probably have an ageist printer that has decided Ye Olde Laptoppe is too old to work cooperatively. 

So 2016 started with a shifting of gears.  Now, this is significantly better than how last year started, with the chaos of renovations and all.  I am not complaining in the least.  In fact, I’m highly adaptable and shifting gears is a piece of cake.   Okay.  Who am I kidding?  I grumble with the best of them but eventually I begrudgingly accept things as they are.  It’s all about Acceptance, which is my theme for this year.  (I’ve asked my friends to please remind me when I’m resisting things as they are, especially when there are other people involved.)  


Why is it hardest to accept other people’s choices?   After all, I wouldn’t want anyone to tell me how to live my life or insist I follow their advice.  Of course, Acceptance goes deeper than that and I’ve been listening to myself a lot, the way I talk to myself, and I do not like what I’m hearing.  So this whole Acceptance thing really needs to begin with me. 

Even our holiday decorations
weren't put up
in a timely manner.  
Yes, even when I mess up Christmas, which I did.  I ordered gifts but didn’t double check the address.  Long story short, almost everything I ordered didn’t arrive.  It was heartbreaking.  Rob’s gifts, in particular, were few and far between as a result.  Thank goodness his mother sent him gifts or he’d have had barely anything to unwrap.  So yeah, a bit of a bah-humbug.  Still, I didn’t have to disabuse myself as I did during the holidays.  I am a flawed human.  Welcome to the club, right?

Christmas wasn’t all that was weird for me and mine; all of last year was.  It began with the renovations throwing everything into chaos and I don’t feel like I ever managed to get out from under it all.  In fact, I’m just now getting to where I am tackling the office, which gradually became so cluttered that I couldn’t even walk to my desk.  This week I discovered that there is actually a floor in there, and I’m so excited!  Who knew it would still be there?  I wouldn’t blame it if it had abandoned us altogether. 

This game is so much fun!
It’s going to take weeks, possibly months, for me to get the office where we need it to be.  Having it finished will herald a new era of sorts.  And this is the result of the renovations because one room’s change has rippled out to every room being changed. 

What hasn’t changed is how Rob and I rang in the New Year; we made our usual decadent dinner, including caviar, Oysters Rockefeller, and steak.  Last year, we didn’t schedule any game days and Rob and I both wanted to rectify this so we have set aside the first Sunday of the month for our Game Day.  It’s always nice to have everyone come together.  It’s my sincere hope that this year we’ll have at least six such gatherings.   Of course, if that doesn’t happen, I suppose I’ll have no choice but to accept it, right?

So what do you have planned for 2016?  Any special resolutions or goals?  Intentions or expectations?  

4 comments:

  1. I'm keeping it simple this year - to try to read 30 nonfiction books. Last year I read 24, so I think 30 is doable. I had a stressful 2015 with work stuff, having to buyout a family member's share of our partnership when they ran into financial difficulties - after we had just spent a huge sum remodeling our home, and then there is my mom's health. Happy new year to you and wishing you get at least 6 game days with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savvy, We're well on our way to meeting the Game Day goal. We had one in January and have scheduled another for February. Already have a few RSVPs and everything. Yay! Stressful is not good but it sounds like you managed to pull everything together in spite of the stress. Pat yourself on the back and let's both look forward to 2016!

      Delete
  2. Happy belated New Year, Satia! I hope 2016 will be a terrific year. It's good to know that you've retained your sense of humor. These lines cracked me up, "I probably have an ageist printer that has decided Ye Olde Laptoppe is too old to work cooperatively." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suko, Glad my humor made you laugh. It isn't always easy to convey humor n words and my sense of humor is a bit weird. Not unlike 2015. ;)

      Delete