Tuesday, April 26, 2016

5 Day Real Food Detox Day 1



The first time I did the 5 Day Real Food Detox, I quickly learned that the author really likes cayenne pepper. I am not a fan of spicy foods and some of the recipes were a bit hard for me to enjoy because of this.  Which is why I am trying to find a balance in how much cayenne I add to everything while still keeping close to the recipes.

For instance, in the morning, instead of my cup of coffee, I am having the hot drink she recommends which includes ¼ teaspoon cayenne.  The first time I drank it I knew I could not and would not be able to do that again.  Now I just add a dash of cayenne and am content.  There are other tweaks to the recipes I’ve had to make.  Like adding a bit of water to the Superfood Salad Dressing, otherwise the end result is too thick.  Needless to say, I ignore her tip to go ahead and add more cayenne to anything.  LOL!
 
Rob is joining me for the dinners but since he doesn’t want to go vegetarian, I add animal protein to his meals.  For instance, last night’s stir-fry for me had a bit of tofu in it and for him chicken.  It worked. We both ate well. 

But boy oh boy, was I hungry!  I didn’t feel so ravenous the first time I did this detox.  I guess yesterday was just going to be one of those Famished Days and no matter what my menu was for the day, I was going to want more food.  That’s what makes revisiting an experience interesting.  It’s easy to compare one experience with another with an eye to finding what’s better or worse.  Instead of setting myself up for unhappiness, I’m exploring how each experience is different.  So yesterday I was very hungry and today . . . well, I woke up hungry.  I’m hoping that this will subside before long.

I’m also able to see how well I’m doing with 21 DayFix.  After all, I first used the program around this time last year.  So what, if any, difference do I see?  Well, for one thing back then I was using 3 lb weights, sometimes skipping reps, etc.  Now I’m using 5 and 7.5 lb weights.  Yes, I still follow along with Kat most of the time but I surprise myself sometimes by not needing to drop to my knees quite as often.

One thing that hasn’t changed is how very sore I am.  Ow!  I hurt from head to toe!  It’s not so bad that I can’t walk or go up and down a flight of stairs.  It’s just sore enough to know that I pushed myself and that the exercise is working. 

Ow!

I am on Day 2 of using my Mira Wellness and Activity Bracelet.  In case you’re wondering, the one I’m using is from Omron, a company that makes very good pedometers, heart rate monitors, etc.  Thus far, I’m on the fence about it. I’m assuming some of my reticence is rooted in the newness of the technology.  If I don’t immediately see or feel a need for it, is that because I’m not accustomed to having it or something else?  After all, 20 years ago I was pretty sure I didn’t need a cell phone and look at me now! 

We’ll see.  I figure if I am going to fall in love with it, a week or so should suffice.  So tell me, do you use a fitness tracker?  If so, what about using a fitness tracker that you feel is most helpful in your wellness journey?  If not, what would you want/need from a fitness tracker to make it essential? 


No comments:

Post a Comment