Friday, April 29, 2016

5 Day Real Food Detox Day 4

As I said in my previous blog post, the 5 Day Real Food Detox is not my first time doing a detox.  The worst one I ever did was The Master Cleanse.  Knowing what I know about nutrition, even reading about it I knew it made no sense but I 1) had also read from a lot of people who swear by it, that it leaves you feeling energized and healthy and 2) I received a copy of a book for review.  The book itself was well written and organized, the author explaining the benefits of doing the cleanse. 

I didn’t finish it.  I couldn’t.  Every day you do a “flush” which forces you to stay near a bathroom.   But then I found the Master Cleanse drink didn’t stop the umm  . . . aftereffects of the flush.  The author was clear that this was not normal and I stopped the cleanse. 

Again, gotta love a detox that has you eating real food.  According to the calendar, you’re actually supposed to have the Eggs-cellent Breakfast on Day 3 but I had it on Day 4.  I love this breakfast so much I actually made it when I wasn’t doing the detox.  Don’t get me wrong, I like oatmeal for breakfast too but I’ve never thought of putting turmeric in my eggs and it made even plain egg whites taste good! 

The recipe for the black bean burgers, however, is a disaster.  The first time I made the recipe, I followed the instructions and ended up with a pile of black bean mush instead of anything remotely burger like.  Do you know what a pile of black bean mush looks like?  Suffice it to say, I was reminded of the Master Cleanse flush experience.  It may have looked bad but it tasted good.  Very good, in fact, which is why I was determined to get it right the second time.  On Facebook someone suggested mashing the beans rather than blending them so I did that.  I even added more beans to create more density in the bean mash.

On the plus side, I did have something that looked a little less disgusting.  So word of warning for those who buy the book—don’t follow the recipe as written.  If you have a recipe for black bean burgers that you like, see if you can modify it using ingredients used in other parts of the detox recipe.  If, like me, you don’t have a black bean burger recipe you can tweak, then you’ll have to try to find one online.  The next time I do the detox, I will use a different recipe altogether, with better visual results. 

Trust me, there’s a reason I never took a picture of the black bean burgers after I made them following the recipe so learn from my experience and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment